Enjoy a Tantalising Tasting Menu at Exquisite Massana Restaurant, Girona
Just a stone’s throw from the idyllic old town lies a very special Spanish restaurant offering some of the finest gourmet dining in the city. The moment you step inside you are swept into a tranquil and sophisticated space with classically modern interiors, delicate décor, ambient music and bright white tablecloths.
This is Massana Restaurant which opened in 1986 and is run by Pere Massana and Anna Roger. It prides itself on offering a cuisine that celebrates original ingredients and delivers a helter skelter of incredible flavours and near perfect gastronomic experiences.
I was lucky enough to enjoy their acclaimed ‘Tasting Menu’ which comprised a stupendous eight course menu paired with eight different fine wines and ales.
From the moment we sat down and were attended to by a pair of immaculately dressed waiters I knew this was going to be an experience to remember. We sipped on champagne as our napkins were laid across our knees and the head chef came out from the kitchens to personally introduce himself (and was warmly accommodating to the vegan in our group).
Below is a blow by blow account of our delicious eight courses…
1. Wafer thin sweet potato crisps, tomato and basil soup topped with grated cheese and ice cream and a pot of hot pumpkin puree.
2. Foie gras served with slivers of crisp bread and topped with sweet ice cream
3. Shavings of duck in their own jus
4. Miniature sardines with tomatoes on fresh slices of bread
5. Perfect squares of roast belly of pork and its crackling
6. White chocolate mousse topped with red berries
7. Melt in the mouth pastry parcels filled with fondant chocolate
8. Petits fours
The wines were a mixture of full bodied reds, light fragrant whites and ice cold local ales.
Despite the wide array of food that passed our lips we all left feeling replete but not over-full, indulged but not spoilt and most of all in awe of the very special meal we had just experienced.
This is a must try restaurant and one of the city’s true highlights.
Bonastruc de Porta, 10, 17001, Girona